29 September 2019

Tjinn Lyim and Wei Ling’s Wedding (28/9/19) 

I have been to countless of weddings, mostly are from my maternal grandmother’s extended family. The last time I was really involved in a wedding when I was five years old when my bei ku (my mummy’s youngest brother) got married. I remembered I was under watchful eyes of my uncles and aunts, as my mummy had to care and attend my (younger) sister.

My only role at the wedding back then was to serve the tea to the bride and groom- my uncle and aunt, of course! I was carried by my sa ku (mummy’s third elder brother; third uncle in Hokkien) when I served the tea. I remembered I gave them each a peck on the cheeks, they are my immediately family members.

17 years later, I’m reprising my role again! This time is on my dad’s side of the family. My cousin Tjinn Lyim is stepping into next phase in life- marriage. A little bit of my cousin, he is the oldest among the six of the cousins, and I would say he is the best cousin in the world!

One thing I share with Tjinn Lyim gor gor is the love of photography. In fact most of the cousins love photography, and I think that is one of the interests that made us click together. One of the memorable gifts that Tjinn Lyim gor gor gave me was a photo of my star sign- Scorpio. I had no idea how did he manage to capture the constellation? Yeah it’s the best gift that he had given me and I’m still keeping it and even reposted on Instagram.

I’ll take you to the wedding scene. Yesterday I got to know that the colour theme for the morning session is yellow. Although red in the Chinese culture is an auspicious colour, it's still up to the couple to choose which colour for the bridal entourage (heng dai 兄弟 and jie mei 姐妹). I don't want to upstage the newlyweds but I want to stand out in the crowd so I wear a bright yellow cheongsam with seqiun shoes from Pazzion. It's off to the ceremony!

As I arrive at the house, my bak leong (大伯母) asked me why I didn't join my cousins to fetch the bride. I overslept, which is true cause I couldn't get up that early. While waiting for the couple to arrive, I have some food to fill up my tummy since I have a simple breakfast at home.

At 11.48am, the bride and the groom have arrived. Tjinn Lyim gor gor (表哥) is bringing home Wei Ling jie jie (表嫂) as his wife. As according to Malaysian Chinese wedding tradition, we have to hide in the corner when the bride comes in until it is time for us to come up and greet the couple. I'm not sure what is the meaning behind this but anyway, I get to see the couple serving tea to my gu gu (姑姑) and gu cheong (姑丈).

While Wei Ling jie jie (表嫂) is with  her jie mei (姐妹), I walk up to my Tjinn Lyim gor gor (表哥) and give him a big hug and the four of the cousins which comprise  of Tjinn Lyim gor gor (表哥), How Yan gor gor (大堂哥), Yhi Ling (堂姐) and me. Unfortunately How Yi gor gor (二堂哥) is not here, so does my sister as she is in Great Britian furthering her studies. If not the six of us would be together after a long time! 

Not long after, the couple change into a more traditional wedding attire. There is a long history of the red wedding gown that Wei Ling jie jie is wearing because it was worn by all the ladies in the Chin family (my mummy and bak leong) and it was belonged to my gu gu when she got married. Wei Ling jie jie is the second generation to wear this traditional wedding gown.

While waiting for the younger generation to serve the tea, How Yan gor gor, Yhi Ling and I have bites of siew yuk. Until the cultural hype person calls all the younger cousins of the groom. How Yan gor gor goes on first as he is the oldest, followed by Yhi Ling and me. When it is my turn to wish the couple, I take a deep breath and Tjinn Lyim gor gor said: "Marn, you seemed got everything prepared!" The next thing we know is wishing the couple for a long-lasting and happy marriage.

For the wedding night, I change into another cheongsam but this time is in pink and it's longer as compared to the yellow one which I wore this morning. I didn't use the photobooth during the cocktail party (tip: if there is a photobooth at any events, please use them). I did manage to take a picture with the bride and groom. Tjinn Lyim compliments that I look pretty in pink and definitely like a princess for the night.

We head into the ballroom and the best part is we are seated near the main table, and of course the stage! As everyone settles down in their seats, the emcees announce the arrival the parents of both the bride and the groom, and finally the main characters of the night- Tjinn Lyim gor gor and Wei Ling jie jie!

In every Malaysian Chinese wedding dinner, there is a champagne popping follow by the three toasts (yum seng). Tjinn Lyim gor gor even sings a song or two as a surprise for Wei Ling jie jie, so romantic! We also have a best man and maid of honour speeches. After that, a video montage is shown on the screen of the gate crashing, which the groom had to cross some "obstacles" in order to get the bride and How Yan gor gor is in it too, since he is part of the heng dai. The night ends with picture taking from both sides of the family.

I just love weddings! I'm so happy and honoured to be apart of the journey! I wish Tjinn Lyim gor gor and Wei Ling jie jie for an ever lasting love and marriage!


 Tjinn Lyim with his favourite cousin 
All the cousins in the Chin clan, missing two of them 
Tjinn Lyim looks super handsome in his suit 
I'm with the bride with herself- Wei Ling 
Showing off my princess pose 
Wishing the newlyweds

No comments:

Post a Comment