30 August 2020

MONMUN 2020 (28/8/2020-30/8/2020)

 It's back to Dewan Rakyat, this time let us set back the time into the late 1990s when the Asian financial crisis affected Malaysia. Yes, it was back in 1997 (that was the year I was born. Oops, my age is revealed!). Anyway, I'm in the Gagasan Rakyat party coalition, playing DAP veteran - YB Tan Seng Giaw, the MP of Kepong. 

As with any Dewan Rakyat councils I have been to, this Dewan Rakyat council is special because it connects with the Asian Financial Crisis in 1997 till 1998, it's a crisis council! Throughout my experiences as a MUN-er, the crisis councils are always major favourites among delegates. It's always packed up in physical conferences. I asked my fellow delegates why crisis councils are always the favourite? They said: "Because there is always drama!" I could imagine how intense and full of drama the council would be. 

First time for everything! Each MP receives their personal profile to achieve three objectives: primary, secondary, and secret. Besides that, there is a brief on the MPs' characters. In fact, a few days before the council, one of the MPs texted me on a strategic move in council. I'm speechless because this is my first time in a crisis council throughout my MUN career. The key is trust in crisis councils.  

Even before the council starts, we have to face a fictional death scene, in this case, the MP of Permatang Pauh takes over the place as the Prime Minister of Malaysia. For the sake of Malaysians, we put our political differences aside and start to draft a model bill. 

The MP of Sg. Siput is really passionate on riverbanks and astronomy, how can we focus on these two when we have a financial crisis to handle? Things get heating up when MPs from both sides start to tear each other apart until the Kak Long Speaker has to calm the situation, while I'm having fun to listen to both sides of MPs arguing at each other, just like the real Dewan Rakyat. 

One point, the BN government blames the Opposition party for not contributing to the writing of the model bill. I quickly switch on my microphone to clarify that the Opposition did contribute to Bill. "Yes, YB Kepong, we appreciate your efforts. What about your fellow Opposition MPs, did they contribute?" the PM asks. My answer is I will do the best to convince my fellow Opposition MPs to be proactive in the council. 

The drama continues with the YB Sg. Siput being put into "jail" which we called the matahari. Not long after, YB Pekan is put into the matahari, and he was sacked by the PM, switching the role of independent as Ambassador Pekan for USSR. There is a "love story" written by some of the MPs, luckily the Kak Long Speaker bans it. Phew! 

It is more exciting when we are running for a virtual "election". Of course, we have to draft an "election manifesto". When we will know the results of our virtual "election"? That will be revealed during the closing ceremony. In the meantime, we are voting the bill as a whole and we passed the model bill. During the closing ceremony, awards are given out to delegates in each council. When it comes to our Historical Dewan Rakyat, the "polls" are revealed. Eventually, for my character, 11% of the votes which is okay. But here's the plot twist, none of us did win the virtual "election", YAB Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin comes out nowhere! In real life, he is our current and eighth Prime Minister. 

It's my first ever crisis council in my MUN career, first time ever facing a fictional death, first time ever running a virtual "election". Three firsts in historical crisis council. 

This is Kar Marn, representing YB Tan Seng Giaw, MP of Kepong (Gagasan Rakyat) from Historical Dewan Rakyat Council (HDRC) signing off. Tomorrow is Malaysia's 63rd Independence Day, wishing all Malaysians Selamat Hari Kebangasaan


First crisis council 

No comments:

Post a Comment