6 April 2021

UN ECOSOC Youth Forum Side Event: Youth and the Future of Governance (6/4/2021)

 It's the eve of the ECOSOC Youth Forum 2021, the side event is a pre-event of the big day. We have a list of side events to choose from, I chose "Youth and the Future of Governance". We have some Malaysian representations, have to give the biggest support! 

Each of the speaker emphasises how youths are playing an important role as global citizens. I'm gonna pick my top three from the side event. First and foremost, it's none other than our keynote speaker himself, Dr. Maliki. I met Dr. Maliki while I was a university student a couple of years back, that time he was showing us on providing clean water in rural areas of Sarawak. Now, he addresses on the impact of youths as global citizens, not just Malaysia itself and we have a International Youth Council where it is located in Kuala Lumpur - the capital state of Malaysia. I hope to visit the place one day when interstate travelling in the country is allowed. 

Secondly, Ms. Sharon Lo from the UK. She mentions that our roles as youths, we have to be creative in solutions in our everyday lives and most importantly, our voices need to be heard by the big people, listen to us what young people care about that is happening today in the world. Thirdly, it has to be Mr. Phay from YMCA who addresses on the hatred which is a real "virus", which I think it's true because no one in this world to be born to hate someone.  We can lend our voices and be a caring by stander, standing with them together. 

After all these take away from the top three speakers of my choice. I think there is one personal trait that we are lacking - kindness and empathy. We are busy with power and wealth but forgot that kindness and empathy are the keys in any governance leadership and we as young leaders as a whole. Change is always the word, but I think kindness is the future of youth and governance. 

I'm looking forward to the main event for the next two and a half days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment