24 June 2021

Sunway Virtual Intercultural Project: Reitaku University Japan (24/6/2021)

 After an experience with the students from Petra Christian University Indonesia last month, now it's time to "pack" and "fly" to the land of the rising sun with the students of Reitaku University Japan. Okay, I'm not an up riser, but I have to. Luckily, I'm a morning person - which is a good thing. After breakfast, it's time to turn up the computer, log into the Zoom room and let's go to Japan (virtually).

Ms Joey - the coordinator for today's virtual intercultural project. First off we start off by welcoming the students to Malaysia (virtually) since we are the host for this project. I'm impressed with Ms Joey's Jaapnese skills. We showed the students of Reitaku University why Sunway campus is the #MostHappeningCampus, and in turn, they show theirs. 

We are broken up into breakout rooms for the Malaysian and Japanese students to meet. First off, the Japanese students show us a dessert - kakigoori, which is eaten during the summer - which is right about now but Malaysia is summer all-year-round, a tropical country. Marie and I ask the questions to the students whether we go by bike or by train. 

The best way to get to the kakigoori restaurant is by train - a station away with walking distance. It's similar to the one we have in Malaysia - ais kacang batu campur or ABC for short. Marie and I show the students the places in Malaysia. A five-minute break for us to take some time off, we are supposed to stay in the breakout room but I exit the breakout room a few times. We continued with the food in Malaysia and Japan. 

We head back to the main room to share our insights during the interactive session with our new friends. I really love it! It really brings me back to my trip to Japan with my family seven years ago. Hopefully, when the pandemic is over, we can travel again. 

Thank you to everyone who joins the event! Hope to see you at the next one! Please keep in touch! 

No comments:

Post a Comment