3 April 2018

C & S Carnival Cycle 1 2018 (3/4/18-4/4/18)

  The C & S (Clubs & Societies) Carnival is back on the road to recruit to new members. I head down to the college boulevard as I'm performing for Sunway University Buddhist Society. I get to know at the last minute as I don't need the first three songs. Just the song that I pick, if we have still enough time, I might have a bonus song for everyone.

  At 12.00pm, we head over to the stage for some sound checks for the microphone to make sure everything is in place. Yee Tang, the event director of the society says: "When you are done with your performances, promote our society, okay?" I give a thumbs up. The first two songs are Before Finding the Meaning of Life (在找到生命的意义以前) and Bhrama of My Heart.

  It's my turn to take the stage, all eyes are on me when I take my place. I perform a song titled Forgive (原谅) along with sign language. I performed 10 years ago when I was in Year 5 at a teachers' day performance in primary school. 10 years later, I'm bringing it back the feeling. Turns out the students like the performance. As a bonus, I sing The Friends in Life (生命中的朋友). After the performance, I'm back to your ordinary university girl.

  We also have a little game as well. It's called "What's in the Box". Don't worry, it's nothing scary! It's just soft toys and some stuff that we use in everyday life such as nail clipper, comb, stapler etc. That's the end of Day 1. It's off to Day 2 and final day of the first cycle of C & S Carnival 2018

  Day 2 get a lot more interesting than yesterday's activities. In conjunction with their upcoming third annual Chinese Cultural Night, Sunway University Chinese Cultural Society (SUCCS) promote their event by inviting deejays from Astro's new Mandarin station- Go Xuan! to live up the atmosphere. There are performances as well from last year's SunVoice 2017 top 12 finalists.

  I realise that I've been off duty for two hours! Oh no, I'm gonna be in hot water! I rush back to the college boulevard as fast as I can. Luckily, no students visit our booth so that is a sigh of relief! Phew!

  I walk up and down along the boulevard just to get my blood circulate, "Kar Marn (袈文)!" I turn around to see my friend, Ming Han, who is from Sunway Chinese Independent School Alumni Club (CISA). He teaches me some new beats of the 24 season drums. Although we can't use the drums, we use the table instead. Some beats I get it right and some are wrong, but I can learn the new beat in no time as long as I practice constantly.

  That's the end of C & S carnival cycle 1 2018! We'll see you at the next C & S carnival in September! You can sign up any time if you are interested to join any of the clubs on the campus. Drop by an email or give a "like" on their Facebook pages. 

1 comment: