4 March 2019

ReForm MUN 2019 (1/3/19-3/3/19)

After taking a break from the MUN scene for half a year, it's time for Katelyn to make a come back. It's time to reform at ReForm MUN 2019! Forth in total and first MUN in 2019. I'm representing China and Switzerland in the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF). Representing two countries at once it's not easy compare to the usual one which is one country for two topics.

Paying tribute to the two countries I'm representing, I guess the colour red is the choice. Oh, here's a tip for the first-timers: Always pay tribute to the country you are representing. Be it the colour of the flag or the national flower or even bring a stuff animal that represents the country (I've seen it once in my very first MUN), it shows that we have the respect for that country.

After my parents drop me off at Dwi Emas International School, I make the way to the hall for the opening ceremony. The ceremony kicks off with introduction of the councils and messages from World Vision representative, Ms. Denise Ng and our Secretary Generals as well as from Worldwide Wildlife Fund (WWF) Malaysia. With that, it's time to reform!

Delegates make their way to their respective councils. The UNICEF council is a little far, it takes awhile to get there as this is my first time in the international school. UNICEF council starts with introduction of members and a brief explanation on how Model United Nations (MUN) works as a whole.

Since a delegate is representing two countries, we have to decide on a topic that delegates are debating for the next two days or so. At first, most of them want to do topic 2 which is child poverty. After re-vote, most of us choose the first topic on mental health- a cause I'm passionate in. Due to time constraints, our lobbying session which lasts about 15 minutes.

Day 2 continues with delegates arriving and continue to the topic which they left off on the first day. I had a hard time looking for my council as they shifted the room, luckily one of the admins are there to help me out. As the main submitter of the first topic, we work on the opening speech but we have a little trouble on the solution, we have to forgo ours and pass it on to the next group of submitter.

In the third council session, our topic is switched to the second topic which focuses on child poverty. Yet, our roles are changed to another country. Mine is switched from China to Switzerland. This time the whole council work together on a resolution.

I have a hard time in searching as we need to link back to our countries' policies, turns out it's harder than I thought. I'm in stress mode for that moment. I think this is the most stress topic we have done researched on, as compare to the the previous MUN conferences which I had attended. It's okay, this is where the learning process comes in.

After all that debating, it's time for delegate to let their hair down at social night or also known as socials. It's the best part of every MUN. My favorite part is definitely the performances! I'm back at centre stage again! The feeling is so good! Some of the committees have really awesome dance moves! I find it very cute!

The third and last day, we are back on the first topic which is on children's mental health. I tried to submit an amendment but it didn't turn out well. At least I tried, I'm sure I'll get a hang of it in my next MUN.  We have a karaoke session, a game of kahoot of guessing the flags of each county. At 1.00pm, we head to the main hall for the closing ceremony. Jia Fu and Soo Jin once again take the stage as emcees to host the ceremony.

A slide show of the three-day is shown on the screen and also upcoming MUNs in the next coming weeks and in early April. Awards are given out during the ceremony, and certificates are given in council earlier. One of the goal councils is tick off from the list! I'm honoured to represent the SUNMUN team in my first ever MUN in 2019. I'm looking forward to the next MUN.

I'm hoping to be the ambassador for UNICEF Malaysia because I love helping children wh looking forward to the next MUN. o are going through the same journey as me, of course mental health and education are in the list too! I'm hoping to bring the voices of Malaysian children in the real UN one day because this is what I fight for.


No comments:

Post a Comment