4 July 2019

Sunway Riang Raya 2019 (3/7/19)

It's the last day of university before heading to the battle field for the final examination. I'm done with my last presentation of the semester, after class I head to the university foyer to check out the Hari Raya celebration organised by very own Sunway Sahabat Society and Sunway Rukun Negara. Although the celebration is over for most of us, for Sunway students, it's not over them.

I don't have a baju kurung with me but the floral dress I'm wearing for my presentation earlier seems to be a fitting tribute for the celebration. I come across the game station where they have traditional games such as five stones (also known as batu seremban), congkak, and bulu tangkis. Don't they just bring the memories of our childhood? We have a little mishap, as one of the groups is in the mid game of bulu tangkis, it was stuck up there at the wall. Oops!

I get down and take off my shoes to join in the fun. I have a hard time to get grasp the game of five stones as we toss we need to catch one by one. Back in high school, when I wanted to play the game, I was brushed off by my classmates, but years later I'm here in university, playing the game myself. Eventually I manage to catch one of the bean bags, now that's an achievement!

I'm joined by Hanis not long, we walk around the university foyer to check out if there is any good food that we can have a bite on, unfortunately we're not that hungry just yet. My favorite part of the celebration is the exhibition and the photo booth. I even take a picture at the entrance of the university foyer, the flower matches my dress as well.

As we are looking around, we are just in time for the opening ceremony of the celebration. We have the Sunway Kompang Club to move the ceremony to the beat, follow by traditional Malay dancers with joget.

The opening ceremony is officiated by Sunway University's Vice Chancellor, Prof. Grame Wilkinson, Student Life's director, Lee Siok Ping, to officiate the celebration by signing the big card. But wait, where are the pens? "Samson!" with a shout, Samson and Sofia, our beloved sun bears come up to the stage to pass the pen to the VIPs on stage, and with that, the celebration is officially on!

Hanis and I head back to the game station for a game of congkak. She wins the first round, while the second is a draw as I have to head back home to prep up for the final examination. My very first and probably the last time celebrating on campus.

I wish everyone selamat hari raya Aidilfitri, maaf zahir dan batin!

No comments:

Post a Comment