20 October 2023

Back to University: Department of Communication Alum Sharing (20/10/2023)

Last time, I was in the lecture rooms listening to my seniors sharing their lives after university. I didn’t expect to return as a senior and share my experiences with my juniors! I received an invitation from  Ms. Priya last week in conjunction with the Department of Communication's (DOC) Townhall Meeting. Although it's quite last-minute, it's always good to be back on campus! 

I arrived early as I had a lunchtime meet-up with Xin Qi, a fellow UNICEF Malaysia Young Leader - she and I are part of the Young Leaders Programme (YLP). We ate lunch at our favourite vegetarian food stall on campus. Xin Qi asked me about having me as a guest speaker for the opening ceremony of the yearly Sunway Model United Nations (SUNMUN), I said why not - there's another reason for me to head back to campus next month!

After lunch, I stayed for a while at the college's physics lab as Xin Qi was helping out with the A-Levels graduation night. At 2.45 p.m. I headed to the Jeffery Cheah Hall on the north side of the college building. Prof. Pauline Leong was waiting for my arrival and I quickly made my way to the stage and started sharing about my journey on campus from Monash University Foundation Year (MUFY) to a BA (Hons) Communication graduate.

One of my favourite memories in the Department of Communication was the campaign of TogetherLAH! The closing ceremony fell on my 21st birthday too! It was almost five years since we ran the campaign, and it's still vivid in my mind, that we wanted to change the perception of how people think about Malaysia. After the sharing session ended, I was given a goodie bag by Dr. Padma as a moment to mark my visit back to campus.

This wasn't just any ordinary town hall meeting, a game session held by the student body of the department for lecturers and students to bond with each other. I gave a try on the bingo game and I got a bingo! Before ended the visit, a group photo was taken and for me, I took a solo photo in front of the stage. Did you know the Magicman - Jackson Wang held his dance workshop in conjunction with his Magicman World Tour in Kuala Lumpur last year! 

Thank you to the Department of Communication (DoC) team for inviting me back! I can't wait to join more activities in the future! 

Here is an upcoming event by the Events Management student team: RAWK Commcert 3.0 - it's to promote Malaysian talents in the music industry and they want you to be part of it! Head over to their Instagram account @rawkcommcert to learn more! RAWK Commcert 3.0 is coming your way on 16 December 2023 at Jeffery Cheah Hall from 3pm to 6pm. Bringing everyone through the evolution of music from 1970's till the present day. 






No comments:

Post a Comment