21 October 2023

Sunway Project for Asia and International Relations Annual Conference 2023 (21/10/2023)

Sunway Project for Asia and International Relations better known as SPAIR 2023 is back! This year's theme is Human Capital: The Gap on Gender and Education, which mainly focuses on SDG 4: Quality Education and SDG 5: Gender Equality. I always wanted to attend a SPAIR conference but it always clashed with my schedule, mainly on Model United Nations, it's always on the weekend! 

Now, not anymore! I'm attending and in a SPAIR conference panelling on the topic of education. It was a month back when Farhana, the current Vice President of SPAIR. She went through my profile on LinkedIn and Instagram (my personal account) and found out about my advocacy for disability inclusion. After some thinking, I said yes. 

The meeting was arranged to get first-hand of the program flow, and who were the people I was gonna panel alongside. For education, I wasn't the only Sunway alum, there was gonna be another fellow Sunway alum for that session but I wonder who he or she was. A week or two before the event, the full list of panellists was out and the questions were in to have a concept of what the moderators would ask. 

On the day of the event, I was led by the volunteer team of SPAIR to the Chancellor Suite - where they host VIPs. I called it the VIP room. Breakfast was served with light snacks and refreshments. Sunway campus has been upholding "Campus with a Conscience" by practising the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) on campus. I had my favourite Nyonya kuih (pastries) too! At 10.15am, we were given the green light to head over to JC 1. 

I thought the room would be packed with 100 people and it was the weekend. Turned out it was less than I expected. It's okay anyway, I like a small crowd on a panel session because we interact with the audience more. The event with the singing of the national anthem the Negaraku, followed by an opening remark from Sunway Education Group CEO - Dato' Professor Dr. Elizabeth Lee and the President of SPAIR - Farhana. 

The first panel session was on Gender Equality. I would like to take on the mention of parental leave. In society's expectations, the mothers are the ones who spend and nurturing newborns in the first three or six months but the question is: What about the fathers? Nurturing and raising children requires both parents to be involved in the process. Not only parents but also grandparents (from both sides) also play an important role too! 

I'm lucky I was raised by my grandparents, it was a big help for my parents, especially my mummy to focus on her career 100% and not worry about my younger sibling and me being left at home alone after school. After that, it's lunchtime on the Mezzanine floor. I had delicious Mac and Cheese with iced lemon tea! Before we headed back, Jeff, the moderator briefly introduced himself as we are heading back to JC 1 to continue to the next session - Quality Education. 

At the beginning of the session, each of the panellists what does education mean to them? I shared a fond memory of my ah gong (grandpa) - who is a retired educator who bought me essay books to prep me for essay writing in Year 3 of primary school.  I was asked how education and how can we make them inclusive? 

I talked about the difference between the inclusivity between Australia and Malaysia. Students with disabilities like myself are not able to have 100% inclusivity in class whereas in Australia, I was there during my yearly physiotherapy checkup. I could see the educators emphasised inclusion.

The education blueprint went well with other countries but with Malaysia, it doesn’t go anywhere, it always goes back to the same point. The role of an educator also plays an important part in a student's life. There is always one educator who leaves an impact on the students. For example, an educator whose child loves drawing but doesn't recognise it, what the educator did is she got it tattooed to boost the child's confidence. I think this is what really can do to always encourage the students to discover their potential instead of focusing too much on the grades.

I ended the session by encouraging parents to send their children because campus life is a pathway to a bright future and eventually a class above! Thank you SPAIR team for inviting me back to campus and hope to come back again for future events. 

Follow Sunway Project for Asia and International Relations (SPAIR) for more upcoming events: 

Website: https://sunway-pair.wixsite.com/sunway-pair 

Facebook: Sunway Project for Asian and International Relations 

Instagram: @sunwaypair

LinkedIn: Sunway Project for Asian and International Relations


Let's connect: https://linktr.ee/katelynchin97











No comments:

Post a Comment