29 October 2016

Deepavali 2016 (29/10/16)

  Deepavali or Diwali is a very special day for Hindus as they celebrate the special celebration good over evil. It is also known as the Festival of Lights. Most Hindu households will place lamp lights at their houses. To me, I'm not a stranger to the occasion as I grew up in a multicultural country so me and my fellow Malaysians observe the celebration every year. I used to observe the celebration back in my high school days and now in college- students use the coloured rice to create an art called the kolam. On this very day, the Hindus will use oil to bath as a symbol of washing away the bad luck and sins. They will have prayers for a blessed Deepavali, everyone celebrates with peace and harmony. 

  Every year, my family and I will visit to my uncle's place in Sungai Buloh, Selangor to celebrate Deepavali. Did you know that I have a multicultural family background? Okay, let's proceed to the scene at my uncle's place. As we arrived at the house, my Uncle Felix was talking to some guests at the garden. When my uncle saw us upon arrival, he welcomed us with open arms. I heard piano in the living room from the moment I stepped into the house. My cousin, Sandhya Tan, was dressed in a beautiful saree made in India. Patti (grandmother in Tamil and my cousin's maternal grandmother) was really happy to see us, especially my younger sister and I. Sometimes we visit our cousins when we are both in KL, sometimes Sandhya or known as Kim Hua in my family will visit us as well during the school holidays. 

    On the table, we have puri, dahl and of course my favourite food during Deepavali is muruku! My Aunt Sheela made them herself. My cousins Shyam and Suraj, Sandhya's older brothers served us drinks and snacks. After eating, I went upstairs to look for cousin Sandhya. She was in her room with her friends. Their mums and Aunt Sheela were schoolmates. They were watching a video on YouTube. Not long after, my sister also came in to join in the fun. We watched a few acapella videos. We loved to stay a bit longer but we had to leave early because we had some important stuff to do. 

  As we were about to leave, Aunt Sheela's school mate, Aunty Diana showed off her piano skills. Sandhya and her friends danced along to the music. What a fun family affair we had today! I wish everyone a very Happy Deepavali! May all the light shine away the evil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment