28 November 2016

Are You Awake? (25/11/16)

  It's Black Friday! How did you spend your Thanksgivings Day this year? Thanksgivings is not so popular in Malaysia but Black Friday is! I've seen a lot of online store from H&M to Amazon to Zalora and a whole lot more are having discount in conjunction with the celebration. Okay, I'm back in college. You must be wondering why I'm still in Kuala Lumpur instead of relaxing in my hometown, Malacca? I'm here to attend another talk organised by the Sunway Buddhist Society (SBS) called "Are You Awake" by Lancester University's lecturer, Dr. Alvin.

  I'm in the library to check out some Black Friday goods online. After awhile I bump into my senior, Jia Jin, who is just at the helping desk to get some paper work done. I turn off and follow his direction to the computer table. "Hi Jia Jin!" I whisper. "Hey, Katelyn!" He asks me what am I doing here, I tell him that I'll be attending a talk which is held by the society. "Yes! Of course! You came all the way just to attend?" he asks. I say: "Yes!" So he helps me with my bag and the both of us take the lift back up to the library's main entrance but the awkward moment is we forgot to press the button!

  After Jia Jin drops me off at the university's foyer, he rushes off to class. I thank him for his help before he left. There are a lot of booths are being set up for tomorrow's career fair so my curiosity hits me and I just wander around the whole foyer. I drop by Sunway University Music Society (SMS) to check out. Recently, I got an unexpected invitation from the society to perform tomorrow so might as well to check out who is the person invited me to perform.

  At 12.15pm, I make a bee line to LT2. I peak through the transparent glass of the door. Yes, class is still going on so I wait at one of the benches. A familiar person just passed by me. Is that Kuan Hui? I thought. I have to double confirm, yes it's Kuan Hui alright! I haven't seen him for six months! I'm surprised to see him. When the students coming out from the lecture theatre, Kuan Hui and I make a move. We also bump into Loke zai (young boy in Cantonese) and Jia Yee. Once we are all settle down, Loke zai calls the President of the society, Hon Pong, to inform him that we are already arrived.

  Unfortunately, he didn't call back but did reply the message that we should start first and Hon Pong will be coming later on. I have to inform Dr. Alvin that we should start the talk without further delay, we ask him whether he wants to use a microphone but he says he doesn't need one. What makes the talk so interesting is that Dr. Alvin our background as a Buddhist and how were we exposed to the religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment