12 November 2016

Last Day as College Student (11/11/16)

  The moment my parents drop me off at the library, I immediately go to the Sunway Campus Library's fountain view at Level B1. I take my favourite royal biography- The New Royal Family. It's all about TRH Prince William and Duchess Catherine on raising the future heir, their first born- Prince George of Cambridge and how William and Kate adjust their lives to parenthood. Although, it was renewed for the latest edition and published two years ago, that didn't stop me to get to know their roles in the 21st century. I take a photo of the fountain view and post it up on the social media. Oh you might be wondering why I'm in college today? I'll be attending a talk held by Sunway University Buddhist Society (SBS), titled: Science & Development in Buddhism. It's going to be at LT2, starting from 12.30pm to 2.00pm.


  Around 11.20am, I walk out of the library but stop at the main floor of the library, that's where the Level UG (Upper Ground) is located. They are having a mini film exhibition on Asian films including Singapore, Indonesia, China, Taiwan and of course Malaysia! I tour the exhibition awhile especially Malaysian film area. They have information about some Malaysian legend actors like the late Tan Sri P. Ramlee and Maya Karin. They display many of the Malaysian films from 1950s till now. Who wouldn't forget Astro's 2014 hit movie- The Journey and the recent Ola Bola, the movie is based on the true events in the 1980s- the golden football years in Malaysia. Besides that,  Ice Kacang Puppy Love (2010) was one of the first Mandarin movies in my early teen years


  Unfortunately, the items on displayed are not ready to be home loan yet until the exhibition ends on 18 November. The mini film exhibition in Sunway Campus Library is from 8 November till 18 November. I walk to one of the seats at the foyer at the university side of the campus. After I settling myself down, I walk to the SSD booth where they are promoting the Asia Leadership Conference 2017, which is going to be held on 14 January 2017. The registration fee is RM200. Early birds (for non-Sun U students) will have a 50% of the price, the discount lasts till the end of the month. While Sun U and College students will have a 50% discount as well!


  I drop by to say hi to my friend, Shenn Kuan, who is one of the SSD students. "Are you coming to the conference?" Shenn Kuan asks me as she hands me the flyer. I take a look at the flyer of the conference, "I'll think about it," I say "I'll tell my friends," I add. I walk back to my seat, I take the iPod from my bag again and take the a photo of the corridor of the university side. Last photo of college life in 2016. I realize that my iPod is running of battery so I go to one of the tables and charge the device because I need it for the talk later. While waiting for it to charge up, it's back to my book on the royals!




  At 12.20pm, I pack up all my stuff and head straight to LT2 to attend the talk. I'm about to open the door, some students come by to help me open the door. I thank them for their help after taking my seat. I double confirm the place with the society on their WhatsApp group chat. Not long after, the president of the SBS, Hon Pong come. "Hey Katelyn! You're here early!" Hon Pong says putting his bag down. "Yeah, it's the best to get everything early!" I laugh. After a few minutes, the other members start to come in. In the end, the talk is cancelled at the last minute as they forgot to inform Datuk Seri Victor Wee, the Prof. in Tourism of Taylor's University. Hon Pong apologises for the inconvenience caused.




  "No, no it's okay!" I say. What are we going to do for the next two and half hours? Planning the activities for 2017! We have a little fun by playing the microphone. When there is a microphone in my hand, I'm full on my "singer" mode! Time to show my singing skills off! Hon Pong draws out the planning on the board.




  In mid-meeting, Hon Pong asks me "Do you join any societies and clubs on campus?" I say "No. The only society I join on campus is SBS," Something has struck him, "Katelyn, would you be like our committee member?" Wait, what? I didn't expect that question coming. If you are a committee members of any society and club, you have to attend meetings. I wasn't a committee member back in my high school days. "I don't know, Hon Pong" I hesitate.


Being a committee member, you have big responsibilities! "Don't worry, we'll guide you," Cynthia says, who is the PR of the society. Hon Pong wants me to be the assistant secretary to Yi Xin, who is my high school senior. He knows my relationship with Yi Xin will make an amazing team. But Cynthia suggests that I should her place as PR, she and Hon Pong will be graduating soon.


 At 2pm, the university students are here for their lecture so we have to leave the room. When we exit the room, it's already start to rain. We go to the new canteen to have our free vegetarian lunch. My last tong sui before I come back to continue my undergraduate degree in January. I wait for the rain to stop as Cynthia go to the library to get some papers printed out. After that, we walk to the waiting point to wait for my Uncle Andy to pick me up.


  I'll see you next year, Sunway University!

No comments:

Post a Comment