23 January 2018

Being Mindful is the Best Way to Grow Up (23/1/18) 

  The first month of 2018 is coming to an end and I believe that most of us have achieved our New Year’s resolutions. As for me, being mindful is one of my resolutions, I still haven’t achieved yet.


It all started when I was an 18-year-old, a fresh graduate from high school, just stepping into college. Sure, new environment, new experience and being away from home for the first time.

 Every time I asked my friends out for lunch, they would reject me or give reasons such as busy with assignments and homework, I could understand that.Until I started my second semester in college, somewhere in the middle of the semester, I realised not everyone will bear and tolerate our attitudes. I started to learn being alone- a first step being independent at a tertiary level. The feeling was great as I got to know myself better as a person.

  Last year in March, I reached another milestone- entering university. I was one of the active students in lectures and tutorials, always wanting to prove that I could be like everyone. I was very "competitive" among my course mates whenever the Q & A sessions came on.

  Due to my "competitiveness", my course mates started to distant themselves from me. After receiving counselling from my lecturer, I started to subside my "competitiveness" and give other students chances to answer the questions. In the second semester, I told myself "give other people chances".

  Being enthusiastic is a good thing, but going overboard will cause lots of "problems". People would think that it will  "scare them off". I try to tone down every now and then. Sometimes I need to be someone else’s shoes and not thinking of myself all the time. At one point, I shut out the people around me because I wanted to know the mistakes that I have made.

  One way being mindful is to be observant by watching the people around us. Observe how they act, talk, handling problems, from there we can pick up their positive traits to improve ourselves better as a person. Another thing being mindful is to see the situation- knowing when is the right time to act and talk.

  As a young person who is going on the road to adulthood at 21 in November, I believe that being mindful is the first step of being a young adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment