29 August 2019

Sunway Friendship Week Launch (28/8/19)

There is a Mandarin saying which says "We may have a lot of friends, all we need is true friends" (朋友不须要多,真心就够了). We may seem to have a lot of friends, but how many of us will stay by each other's side? Behold! I present to you Sunway Friendship Week! At the start of the celebration, I could hear our Sunway 24 Festive Drums beating to kick off the event. I was still in time of the celebration when i made my way down to the university foyer to catch all the actions!

Dr. Elizabeth Lee, the senior executive director of Sunway Education Group, was giving an opening speech. Besides Sunway is commited to the 17 SDGs, what is the 18th goal if were to add one? Any guesses? The answer is friendship! I turned around to see students were lining up to get their "Friendship Passport" from Sunway Lagoon, as for me I had a special privilege to get the passport.But not today cause it's a quite a queue! I didn't want to wait for hours!

To pump up the event, Sunway Lagoon dancers performed "Proud Mary". By looking their outfits, I really wanted to kick off my shoes and having fun in the sun! Since it's also C & S week for the August semester, it's even more lively! I guess you can say it's the "Most Happening Campus?" Sunway Friendship Week was also a family affair for me and my sister, our cousin, Sandhya, performed an Indian cultural dance.

If you want to make friends on campus quickly, head over to our campus' student council booth where you can get to know your new friends through our very own friendship box. To be fair, I picked three randomly from the box. The next question that most of you will ask: Do I have any friends on campus? The answer is yes, I do have friends! I'll pick the best three of my friendship moments on campus.

 First off, it's none other than Sunway University Buddhist Society (SBS). I joined the society since my college days, but not until in 2016, which I was going through a difficult time that year. I decided to "officially" joined in the society, when they were having "Hope Forum"- which was some sort of "distraction" and to get off my mind off a little. Fast forward to three years, I'm now a part of the committee!

The second story is kind of sweet and heartwarming. I don't know about my fellow readers, but it's up to anyone to decide the theme of the story. Pamela (I called her Pam for short), and I met during our short semesters. I was in the third semester of my first year while she was in her second semester. We bonded through a ring which sat on my finger at that time, and it was made out of a pebble stone. After that we knew that we were studying the same course which is Communication- we'll be seeing each other more on campus.

My favourite moment of us was our ice cream adventure. I had a rough week since the start of the semester, I was trying to get over the academic failure. To put that frown upside down, we headed to Family Mart on the first day of semester. Pam and I can share just about anything! I mean anything!

The third and final segement of my friendship story: You know there is a saying that boy meets girl kind of fanstasy, fall in love and live happily ever after? Not for Ren Khai and me! We met at a PCV booth, where they were promoting an event. The first thing that Ren Khai said to me that I reminded a friend of his who loved singing too! We became each other's support system every now and then, mostly on studies and relationship, sometimes friendships too. We did work together to help a friend of mine to overcome a mental health situation. I would say we did make an amazing team!

There you have it! My three friendships story in a nutshell! How do you define friendship in your own way? Do you have any friendship story that you would like to share? What makes a strong friendship?

A shout out to all my friends in university, I'm so lucky to have you guys by my side. We may not see each other but when times in need, I know I will have you. Here's to a lifelong friendship! Since our Malaysian 62nd Independence Day is coming up, wishing all Malaysians Selamat Hari Kemerdekaan! 

No comments:

Post a Comment