18 May 2016

Teachers' Day 2016 (16/5/16)

  Ever since I graduated from high school for almost two years, Teachers' Day celebration is no longer celebrated in my tertiary education. The date hit me once again when I saw one of course mate gave my Accounting lecturer, Miss Sham a gift and wishing her "Happy Teacher's Day!" Nishail and I looked at each other blankly, we saw the date we have written- today is Teachers' Day. We got so busy with our preparation for our final examination which is next week that we have forgotten the red letter day.
 
Let's take a step back in time when I experienced the celebration of Teachers' Day. I was a Year 1 student, I just started my education journey as a student. Students were lining up in the hall. Prefects were in control of the students' behavior, chairs were placed at the stage for our VIPs who are the headmaster and the PTA. The teachers' seats were placed near the stage so they had a good view during the performance. After all the speeches were delivered, it was time for students to come out from their comfort zone. There were the 24 seasons drums, wushu and dancing just to name a few. Teachers were invited up to the stage to receive their gifts from PTA as a token of appreciation.

 
During my forth year in primary school, I got to perform for the very first time. I joined the sign language society. All the songs were taken from Tzu Chi Buddhist Foundation. Thanks to my teachers who are Pn. Lee Boon Lin and Pn. Goh Yu Ying, also happen teaching me Bahasa Melayu and Mathematics in my upper primary years,  taught us after school on every Monday. We had the usual rehearsals days before Teachers' Day. I even sacrificed my class time as well but it was for all the performance. 


  Until I reached my senior year, I stopped performing for Teachers' Day because there was a big examination I had to face. All the focus were on the books. I felt disappointed that I didn't perform but it's okay.


I stepped into my high school year in 2010. The Teachers' Day celebration was very different. There were not much performance because my high school is a national secondary school. The only performance we had was the silat- a Malay martial arts. As the years gone by, the performances in my high school were getting more and more like hip hop, break dance, poem reciting and singing too!


  This year's Teachers' Day is themed Back to School- teachers had their chance to put on the uniforms to recall the good old days. The photos were uploaded on social media so I have the chance to see all of them. It was fun seeing teachers to go back to the days when they were students like us.
 
To all the teachers who have taught me, Happy Teachers' Day! Thank you for inspiring me to dream big!

No comments:

Post a Comment