20 April 2017

DCLA Alternative Media Talk (20/4/17)

  It's as just as any of a normal day in university, you filled up your free period by going to the library to have your "me time" before tutorial class started at 10am. I didn't really care about the pop-up ads on the PC so I decided to ignore and logged on to the campus' email system as always. An email which I received from the Head of the DCLA Department was related to the talk which I saw on the pop-up ad, I ignored it for the second time around.

  At 9.30am, Junta and I always leave half an hour before class because you'll have trouble to get into the lift and you have to wait for another around all walk up the stairs, I think it's 14 flights (a rough guess). As we reached to the 7th floor, I always "popped in" to the Sunway University Business School Office (SUBS). Around 10 minutes before class, I got up and gathered with my friends for a small chat. Once the students from the first class was done, it's our turn to enter to Corporate Communication tutorial with our lecturer, Ms. Priyadarshini.

  We had a little "role play" which was each student will count the number from 1 to 9, the students with the same numbers were gathered into a group. After that, Ms. Priya will assign each group to a sub-function of Corporate Communication. My group was assigned under the Crisis Management. At some point, she asked whether one of us would like to be the host or moderator for the "role play". Oh wow, this is my chance! I've always wanted to be a host. Without second thought, I shot up my hand. Besides, it's a step to my future career as a newscaster. Once everyone got their discussions and names done, some of the boys helped out to arrange the table so that the classroom looked like we were attending a "forum".

  I had to go the back of the class when my placed is set. Once I was seated, each group will represent a "spokesperson" to describe each and every of their sub-function. Thanks to my addiction to television programs, I watched one or two talk shows as well as watching the news every night before bed, I could use some of the tips which learned, turned out it came in handy! After Chivonne's presentation, I warapped up the "forum" saying: "Thank you to our nine speakers on their roles in the Corporate Communication industry and thank you everyone for attending the 'forum', I hope you guys learn from each of the speakers. Therefore I end this forum, thank you."

  Ms. Priya praised me for doing a good job as well as the students who represented the teams. She also encouraged us to attend the talk that every student in the course was talking about. Mr. Philip Chong, our Introduction to Consumer Behaviour substitute lecturer also encouraged us to go. The tutorial class was cancelled and we were "forced" to go to the talk. When we arrived, I was attracted by the food because my tummy was making rumbling sounds. To kill hunger, I dig in the food which they provided. My favorite was the spring roll. While I was eating one of the seniors told us to go into the hall as the forum was starting soon. 

  One last bite of my spring roll, my friends headed inside to the hall. While I was going in, I could hear Dr. Chan, the head of department of DCLA saying to Sunway Education Group Senior Excecutive, Dr. Elizabeth Lee: " That's Kar Marn, one of our DCLA students," Did I mention that the emcee looked grace and poise? She is in Year 2, majoring in Corporate Communication. Each of the speaker talked about the role of social media and how people like us use them on a daily basis and sometimes we misused them. Questions were asked by students and lecturers as well as the Dean of School of Arts (SOA). A photo opportunity is a must at the end of the forum. 

  I even took a selfie with Aliah and it was time for me to head back to class for English listening test. What an experience! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment