20 September 2018

Sunway PCV Mental Health Camapign: I'm Only Human (19/9/18)

It's time to put my passion- mental health, into the test! Sunway Peer Counselling Volunteer (PCV) is having a mental health awareness campaign which is starting from today (19 Septtember 2018) till tomorrow (20/9/18). I didn't go to the opening ceremony, as I have some assignments to get them done.

Since there is no one around the stage area, I just sit there. The stage is my favourite place in the world! I can think about life and the challenges that I've gone through, a question struck me: How can I normalise mental health? Well, we just have to find out later at the forum. After my class ends, I head over to the Art Gallery at Level 1 for Walk in My Shoes. I bump into my friends who are also going to the session as well, why not join them to make up the party?

Walk in My Shoes is stepping into a person's world who is suffering from mental health, we are taken to each scene to feel the pain and sorrow. I almost cried and my heart sinks at one point, because I can feel the main character is calling out for help but none of them is willing to step out for her and give a voice to say that: "Hey, it's okay! We got you!"

Participants are taken into a room to watch videos on mental health which are highlighted from key peoples such as Subang Jaya state assembly person, YB Michelle Ng, Sunway Education Group Senior Executive, Dr. Elizabeth Lee and Student LIFE director, Ms. Lee Siok Ping. Once we are out from the gallery, we are given a free gift but I want the soft toy because it is so cuddly and cute!

As night falls, time to hit the dance floor at the university foyer! Hanis and I dance to Bill Ray Cyrus' Achy Breaky Heart, which is not easy! There is a slight difference in the dance steps, compare to the one I learned in primary school. The line dance session ends with the chicken dance. I even have a one-on-one chat with YB Michelle Ng herself on mental health. She recgornised me as I was a delegate at SUNMUN last month, she officiated the event.

Hanis and I make our way to JC1 to attend the mental health forum. The first two rows seats are for the VIPs. We have speakers from the fire and rescue department, police force, medical experts as well as from members of parliament, YB Hannah Yeoh, the Deputy Minister Of Woman and Community, and YB Wong Chen. Each of the speaker talks about the awareness and issues of mental health.

Counselling is one thing but the concepts of that in Malaysians’ minds is: If one goes to seek counsel, that means they have a problem. YB Hannah mentions in her message that counselling is just a follow up on a basis, to keep track of a progress. I went to counselling once back in high school, I’m still a good student. The floor is opened up for some Q & A session from the audience, I’m in the second batch of the questions. My question is: How can we normalise mental health among peers on campus? I have a chat with Ms. Lee on that question.

After the forum, a group photo is taken to commerate the important event. On the way out, I have a small chat with YB Hannah and a photo opportunity too! We almost forgot our bags which are left in the auditorium. Oops!

Actually mental health is not that bad, it's how we perceive the issue in our own point of views. How do you define mental health in your own terms? If I can make a change to normalise mental health, you can as well! I'm going to continue my passion in mental health.

No comments:

Post a Comment