21 October 2018

Punchlain SU Comedy Night (20/10/18)

Are you feeling stress about the piling assignments these days? Or you feel down over a recent incident? Can't find anything to cheer you up? Head over to Punchlain SU organised by DCLA's Year 3 students of PR Project Management at Sunway University! 

Weeks before the event, the seniors came to drop by promoting their event during Issue and Crisis Communication lecture. I was a little hesitant to come because I was not sure about my plans in hand yet., until yesterday one of the seniors, Amanda, that the team had five free tickets. At one point, I was thinking, "Hey, since there is a free ticket, why not give it shot?" It's worth a shot since I didn't go to a comedy night before. My seniors are super supportive, why not return them favour? 

I make my way up to JC 2, the seniors are still doing some last-minute checking to make sure the event is in top form. Most of them recognised me because I covered their previous event during the last semester- BeYoutiful. My tummy starts to rumble when I see the food pantry but it is not opened until 7.00pm. Oh yeah, I also receive my free tickets while waiting. 

Once the food pantry is opened, everyone heads to the food pantry to dig in. My favorites are the curry puff and the brownies, and especially the egg sandwich! I also bump into my course mates too! They are surprised to see me at the event, "Hey Kar Marn, I didn't know you are here! Did you buy a ticket?" they ask, "No, I got it one for free from one of the seniors," I say. 

I take two photos at the photo booth by Fuji Film, one is with course mates and the other one is with my seniors. As we are waiting patiently for the photos to be printed out, the doors are opened and it's time for us to go in. It's okay I can collect the photos later when the show ends. 

 Once everyone settles in, our lovable emcee, Ruwan, takes the stage. "As they always say, laughter is the best medicine!" the crowd cracks up, and it's true! I have to agree with that saying 100%. We have performances from Kavin Jay, Ayim Razak, Papi Zak, Chrissy Wu and Gajen Nad. Overall, my favorite performances are from Gajen Nad, who kills his last performance with a Hindi and Indian dance. It's totally awesome! 

We also have a game in between to ease up the atmosphere. I'm not good with jokes so I didn't have anything in mind. If I had ever come up with one, trust me, it's not funny at all! Anyway, back to the show! 

After the event, tokens of appreciation are given out to the VIPs and the event director, Ms. Sheena herself, make a speech to thank everyone for coming and making the event a huge success.  I have my one-on-one interview with one of the crews, Angie. 

Katelyn (K): What is the main purpose of the event? 

Angie: (A): We have three goals when planning the comedy night. First of all, the Malaysian comedy scene is under appreciated, cause most of them think that comedy won't make out of money. Secondly, we want to nurture fresh and young talents in the comedy scene. The third and final goal is give people a relaxing time to distress themselves from their hectic work and assignments, especially. Also, we have collaborated with Shelter Home, a there is not enough donations for the children who are living at the home itself. 

K: Why did the team choose a comedy as the theme for this semester's event? I realised that previous semesters, they held balls event. 

A: Like you have mentioned earlier, they held balls event in previous semesters which the team think is common. So we decide to be different by having this comedy night so that everyone can have fun. It also benefits people too. You know the people in big states like KL and Selangor, they are really stress out from work and studies, it may lead to depression or any mental health related issues. With this event, we hope they can relive the stress through laughter. 

K: How did the team overcome conflicts? 

A: We overcome conflicts by talking it out on whatever we do or anything comes out of hand instead of keeping to ourselves which can lead to miscommunication. The key is to communicate! 

K: Anything you want to say to the team? 

A: Although it's tough, we are grateful that each of us in the team did a fantastic job to make the event. We're happy and satisfied on the outcome of the event. 

K: Thank you! 

A: No worries! Thank you for coming to the event. 


Congratulations on the success of the event, it is definitely a night fill with joy and laughter. If you miss you out that night, you can catch all the highlights on Punchlain's official FB page and Instagram account. 

FB: Punchlain_SU 

Instagram: @punchlain_su 

No comments:

Post a Comment