8 October 2018

UN SDG 3rd Anniversary Celebration 2018 at Sunway University (7/10/18)

The semester break has officially started, most of them have already gone back to their respective hometowns to spend their one-week holiday. Before I head back to my hometown, Melaka, I decide to spend my weekend on campus. Is there a big event on campus? It's the third anniversary celebration of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), it is celebrated all around the world!

You must be what are the Sustainable Development Goals? The Sustainable Development Goals was launched by the United Nations (UN) on 7 October 2015. These global goals are the challenges that we face in the world today such as poverty, inequality, huger, health, education etc. We hope to reach the 17 goals by 2030, to ensure that we leave no one behind.

As I arrive on the campus' football field, there's a big stage and two performers are singing to the late Michael Jackson's Beat It, as if I'm attending my very first open-air concert on campus! Oh wait, I am! I make my way to one of the tents to ward off the intense heat. Thanks to the Sunway Student Volunteers (SSV), they give out complimentary drinks to the participants at the event and also badges for the goals, as well as posters!

I'm waiting for my friend Hanis to arrive. I'm near the VIP tent, I bump into a few famous faces. Malaysia's famous comedian and funniest man in the world- Harith Iskander, along with his wife, Dr. Jezzmine Lim, and state assembly person for Subang Jaya- YB Michelle Ng. Not long after, Hanis has arrived. As we are chatting, the emcee announces the arrival of HRH the Raja Muda of Selangor. Quickly, I jump off from the stage and we look for another platform to have a seat.

We found one not far from the VIP tent. At around 9.00am, the celebration begins. When High School Musical's We're All in this Together is played, the flag bearers for each goal comes up to the stage. Who doesn't love High School Musical? I even dance to the music! To start off the celebration, Sunway University Cheerleading (SUC) is here to heat up the stage with their amazing stunts and flips!

The emcee asks all the students to move forward to the stage. I'm still remain on the platform as it is difficult for me to get down on the grass. One by one, 17 VIPs come up to the stage and make their pledge on the goals they are passionate in. At one point, Hanis checks on me to make sure that I'm comfortable.  Sunway founder, Tan Sri Jeffery Cheah, AO, makes his speech to wrap up all the 17 goals. A drone flies over to capture the momentous event, Hanis and I wave to the camera.

When the VIPs come to our side, we shake hands with his HRH the Raja Muda of Selangor. I give my best curtsy when I meet HRH. I have a mini reunion with the national tenpin bowler, Sin Li Jane. We met before at last year's SEA Games homecoming celebration. I even give Li Jane a big hug!

The celebration is not over yet! I have my own VIP moment at the tent, and a good view of the stage too! A magic show,  opera singing, a group of kid dancers, and the best part of all is the performance from the Malaysian Army! With that, the celebration of the SDG has come to a close. I'm super happy that I attended the biggest UN event in the world, apart from Model United Nations (MUN). Maybe I can represent UN Malaysia for one of these goals as a youth ambassador, who knows right?

 I, CHIN Kar Marn, make a pledge on Good Health and Well-Being. Let us join hands and make a pledge to each of the SDG that we are passionate in.

No comments:

Post a Comment