19 April 2019

SBS Welcoming Night: Succeeding Stride (18/4/19)

It's the moment that everyone is waiting for, Sunway University Buddhist Society's (SBS) welcoming night! This year our theme is "Succeeding Stride". How can we achieve success? How do we define success in our terms? What does success means to you? Want to know more? I'll take you to find out!

All exco members of SBS gather at the lunch box to set up for welcoming night. I'm not involve in the helping part much, as most of the setting up are required to move the chairs and tables. I want to help with the pumping of the balloons but it requires a lot strength, the boys are on that part of the duty while the girls are mostly setting up the tables.

After everything is set up, it's time to welcome our new members. I'm in charge of the registration part. It's quite confusing in between, as some students are coming in to have their dinner and I'm not really sure whether they are new members of our society. While I'm handling the guests, "Kate, you can stop for awhile. It's time for dinner," Jing Ci says.

I have to admit that my tummy is rumbling while handling the guest lists. After dinner, the exco members mingle with our new members. Kar Lok, the vice secretary, has a little game up on his sleeves- draw the layout of your room, how does it affect your personality in a psychological manner. This sounds interesting!

Everyone moves up to the stage because the first activity of welcoming night starts with the introduction of SBS by our president, Jing Ci, follow by Bro. Mun Yee's talk on "How to achieve success?", which incorporates with tonight's theme- Succeeding Stride. All we state are not materialistic success which is a good thing because most people think that money and status define success.

"Even brightening up someone else's day is a form of success because we want to see them happy," Bro. Mun Yee says. One small act can turn into something big.

What's with a welcoming night without any music? I have the privilege to beside one of the BBFM's singers, Osadhi jie jie (big sister in Mandarin). She recgornises me from Sadhu for the Music, where I went with my daddy last month. Before our music session, we have a 10-minute break for everyone to recharge. I have a small chat with Osadhi jie jie.

BBFM's singers gave us an insight on Buddhist hymns, and they can be in any form of genre like ballad, soft rock or even classical with a mix modern music. All of these they have one thing in common: spreading the Dharma through music. I sort of fulfill my two-year dream because I always want to have a duet with BBFM singers. Although not formal, singing with them is a dream come true! I hope that with my voice, I can spread the Dharma through music too.

I hope everyone enjoys the night, and I'm sure you might know how to define success in your own terms. If you miss out our welcoming night, not to worry! We'll be bringing you on a one-day trip to Fo Guang Shan Dong Zen Temple and Tzu Chi Jing Si Hall KL! Isn't this exciting?

Welcome to our SBS big family! 佛学会永远的学会,永远的家 (Forver a society where I called home). 

For more of our upcoming society's activities, look up on our official Facebook page:
Sunway University Buddhist Society- SBS.

No comments:

Post a Comment