21 June 2017

The Death of Advertising (19/6/17)

  After attending "Fly with GOLD" opening ceremony, I went to the library to get some work done. Unfortunately, the upper ground level of the library was full so I had to go down to the basement floor to use the computers. As I was about to head to the Instructional Lab, it was almost packed up. Luckily, the seat beside me was empty and it is my favourite spot! I can take a look of the fountain once in awhile when I feel tired. The seat was a bit hard to handle as the chairs are on rollers. Fortunately, the student helped me to stop the chair from rolling. Otherwise, I'll be on the floor!

  After logging on to the computer, it was time for serious work. I tried to lighten my mood by logging on to YouTube to listen to my favourite hits and catching up the highlights of this year's Trooping of the Colour over the weekend. As I was about to get on with work, I realised I brought the wrong book to study. Oh no! I was supposed to bring the lecture book but I brought the tutorial book instead. Luckily, I saved some tutorial exercises in my pendrive. Around 12.50pm, my friend, Kaz, came to pick me up as we had to go to the college side to attend an advertising forum organised by the Department of Communication and Liberal Arts (DCLA)- The Death of Advertising.

  Both of us went up to meet our other classmates who were waiting for us. As we were at the college side, we were trying to figure out which way was the easiest to go. I suggested that we should go to the third floor from the South Building, there's an exit which would lead us to the North Building of the college but the boys suggested that going up the forth floor because the venue of the forum. Four against one, I guessed stick to their plan.

  We reached the forth floor, passed by the rooftop garden of the college and the Jeffery Cheah Hall (that's where my orientation as a university student and MUFY Talent Quest back in 2015). Turned out we reached for the forum just in time. Mr. Woody, our Principles of Advertising and Design lecturer welcomed us with opened arms. I was about to take the first row as always but it was too glaring to see screen so I shifted up a few rows to have a good view. The first few rows were for the VIPs- Professors, lecturers and Senior Executive etc. Finally I had my lunch because in the library you can't have food.

   We have three distinguish speakers from the advertising industry- Mr. Vince Tan, Mr. John Louis and Mr. Shafiq. The emcee of the forum, Benjamin opened the forum with a warm welcome to the audience. Advertising is really "dead"? No, not really. Mr. John said "We are still using banners. In 40 years to come, we'll still be seeing banners," Mr. Tan talked about on how to create a social media platform through advertising. He mentioned that the target audience is important. Who are we aiming at? Children? Students? Housewives? With enough budget, you can create your own advertising platform in no time.

  Due to the Q&A session, the workshop was late for 5 to 10 minutes. Only eight of the students attended the workshop for Copywriting. I'm not sure how many students attended the other workshop for Design Art. After the workshop, I headed to the university's student hub to meet my friends. Most of them were finishing the assignments we had to hand in this week. At around 5.50pm, we left the student hub and it was time for us to go home to charge up and rush our assignments later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment