2 February 2016

Monash Information Week - Arts & Social Science (2/2/16)

  After economics class, Nieshail and I took the lift to the ground floor. I was planning to go to the new cafeteria where it's just opposite of the college by using the pedestrian walkway. As I was about to make my way up to the stairs, I bumped into Poon Kai. "Hey, Poon Kai! Heading for lunch?" I asked. Poon Kai said "Yes, yes I am! Actually we're heading out of the campus for chicken rice. Join us?" I said "I love to!" 

  The three of us were at the foyer waiting for our friends to come but they were already one step ahead of us because they were at the chicken rice restaurant. So we just headed to the old cafeteria to have lunch. "Do you want anything?" Poon Kai asked. I told him I brought food from home. He looked at my lunchbox, "Just bread? Kar Marn, are you sure?" he asked again. I reassured him "Yes, I'm sure!" 

  He told me to wait while he and his friend went to buy the canteen food. I only have about 20 to 25 minutes before the briefing started. Poon Kai asked me why I chose Arts & Social Science even though I was a pure science back in my high school days. "Because I love writing and I love to communicate with people. I'm hoping to be a newscaster one day like the one we see on television," I said. "Yeah, not a bad choice. It does suit you!" 

Did I mention that I get a call from the MUFY directory office a few weeks ago? If I don't meet the minimum criteria marks of the course I have chosen as my undergraduate degree programme, that means I'm not qualified to go to Monash University Malaysia Campus, they offered me to try out Sunway University instead because the minimum criteria marks is lower than the one in Monash. 

"Actually Sunway University is quite good! But why you wanna choose Monash?" Poon Kai asked. "As you can see Monash University is originally from Australia. Their teaching technique is very different compare to Malaysia. Most lecturers are Malaysians but they use the Australian teaching technique," I said. "I see, I see," he said. I saw a familiar figure at the canteen. "That guy really looks like Shaun!" I thought. I took a closer look, it is Shaun! 

  Our eyes caught each other's attention which caused me to look away a little. My best friend who I haven't seen for almost four months! As he was heading for the bridge, I called him "Shaun!" Shaun turned around and walked towards my direction, "Hey Kar Marn, how are you doing?" he asked. "I'm doing quite fine, thank you! How about you?" I said. Shaun told me that he came here to collect his results transcript and he had to go soon. We didn't talk much as Shaun was rushing, I felt a little disappointed a little to be honest. 

  When I checked my hand phone screen, the time stated 11.59am, I just left a minute. "We have to go now," I said quickly packing my stuff. "Take it easy Kar Marn, you'll get there," Poon Kai said. We took the lift up to the second floor where it's our territory- MUFY. We headed to SE 2-11 where the briefing is held. I knocked on the door. "Am I late for the briefing?" I asked. "Just a minute," said Dr. Sharon "Pleas do come in!" 

  As usual all eyes were on me as I made my way to the seat. "Thank you kind souls," Dr. Sharon said referring to Poon Kai and his friend. "Well, I better head off to my Science briefing have fun!" Poon Kai said as he patted my shoulder. I thanked him for his help. Dr. Sharon who is the acciosiate professor of the School of Arts in Monash Univerisity Malaysia campus. She explained which courses are available at the campus. They have majors in Communication, Gender Studies, Global Studies, Pyschology and Writing while the minors are Journalism Studies and Media Studies. 

  I listed all the things I need to know regrading of the courses which I'm gonna pursue after my foundation year. The briefing lasted for only half an hour. That was quite short but I have questions to ask so I stayed back for awhile. Dr. Sharon gave some of us a brief on the combined degree which is Bachelor of Business and Commuincation. "I'm hoping to be a newscaster someday. That means I take a major in Communication and a minor in Journalism Studies?" I asked. 

  Dr. Sharon said "Yes! We encouraged our students to pursue two majors and a minor but most students pursue a major and a minor throughout their undergraduate studies," Well, that was interesting! I hope I will get through but first I have to focus on studies which I'm currently doing now. You never might know what the future will bring you. 









No comments:

Post a Comment