8 September 2017

By MY Side the Movie Campus Tour at Sunway University (7/9/17) 

  We were having Organisational Communication lecture, Ms. Serena asked the class whether any one of us in the lecture theater knew the people from JinnyBoy. The class nodded and some of them were whispering among themselves. They were on a campus tour to promote their first ever movie called By MY Side.

  I got to know about the event while I was browsing the News Feed on my personal Facebook page a few days ago, but when I looked at the time, it stated from 3pm to 5pm, that made me hesitated a little because it collided with Communication Theory and Practice lecture. Luckily, only one tutorial group had to attend the lecture while the other group was excused because we had ours during the Tuesday tutorial.

  We were given the green light to leave the lecture theater early so we had enough time to grab lunch before heading to the event. I practiced the 24 season drums until 2.50pm, I packed my stuff and headed to JC 1. I bumped into Sean, who was my junior since primary school. I had to say it was a St. Davidian day out, well sort of! The room was pitched black as they were playing past YouTube videos of JinnyBoy. Sure enough, the hall was packed with students! We had a hard time to find a seat but luckily the usher reserved a seat for me which was right in front. Phew! What a relief!

  Once the VIPs came in to take their seats, the event started at 3.04pm. Nadia, who was the host of the event came on stage to greet us. A thunderous roar was earned from the students. "Okay, if you scream loud enough, we'll bring the guys from JinnyBoy!" Sure enough, with our loud scream the guys from JinnyBoy- Jin Lim and Rueben Kang came on stage. They introduced their production team and shared their experiences from producing a good video to what it's like to be working on the team.

  The moment we had all been waiting for- the appearance of the cast of By MY Side! Including our very own Sunway student- Arwind Kumar, was one of the casts in the movie! Ah, most of you want some movie spoiler right? Well, it's based on a Malaysian high school love story and showcasing the life of Malaysian high school students. It was time for the Q&A session! I took on the first question to the two main characters- Ben and Faye, played by Brandon Ho and Marianne Tan respectively, what can they learn from their characters in the movie, which earned  "ooh's" and ahh's" in the hall. Every student who asked questions to the cast received a goodie bag.

  "Wow, that's a very good question!" Jin said. Marianne said what she learned from her character, Faye, was how to be a strong and independent young lady after graduating from high school. Despite she and Ben (Brandon Ho) being away from each other, she still believes love- believing that Ben and her will have a happy ending. She has to stay strong for their relationship. Ben, on the other hand, he learned that being in a long distance relationship has its challenges. You have to trust one another, also making your own decisions.

  The event ended at 5.05pm, a group photo is always the best way to end the last movie tour. What's with a movie tour without the meet and greet session? I was one of the last to meet the cast of the movie. Marianne was so down-to-earth and Brandon was handsome and I had a mini reunion with Arwind! I took selfies with Brandon and Marianne. I kissed Marianne and Josephine on the cheek! The best day of my life! A warm hug from Brandon too!

Thank you for making my dream come true! This Malaysia Day, let us take a step back in time to reminisce the good old days of high school. I may not have a first love now but somehow time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment